Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wiley Class Discussion



Schaffer’s formula is used to teach writing and make it the process that seems messy more organized and easy to manage. This will allow students to have a guideline on how they can effectively write. Schaffer says, “No matter what the task, if students follow the recipe, the final product will satisfy all appetites.” I find there are different ways to writing and you don’t always use the same format to get to the final product. When asked to follow a specific format students over think and find writing more challenging then when they are just asked to start writing a response. Also when using a format it can take away from the creativity in your writing. You wouldn't write a science investigation the same way you would write an English paper. Guidelines are helpful when writing but that’s what they are guidelines not a specific format that you have to follow. When asked to start writing and pick a topic sentence I just froze because its hard to figure out is that one sentence the best I could come up with? It has to caught the writers attention and then I critic myself and doubt my own writing ability. Also I have found that when you ask students to follow a specific format they end up being more worried about the format than the content that they are writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment